About Wimmera Catchment Management Authority
Wimmera CMA works in partnership with the community, stakeholders, and partners to deliver a range of services to improve and enhance the condition of the region’s environment.
Wimmera CMA has statutory functions under the Water Act 1989 with respect to waterway, floodplain and regional drainage management; and responsibilities under the Catchment and Land Protection Act 1994 with respect to pests, plants and animals, and land management.
Wimmera CMA aims to create a healthier and more sustainable environment. Wimmera CMA works in partnership with the Wimmera community and a range of organisations and stakeholders to protect and enhance the condition of the region’s natural resources.
Wimmera CMA’s Vision is for ‘a healthy Wimmera catchment where a resilient landscape supports a sustainable and profitable community.’
Some of the ways this is achieved is through:
- environmental monitoring (surface water, groundwater, vegetation, salinity, and animal species)
- environmental water releases to help vegetation, animals, and water quality that underpins recreational and social activities
- advertising and promoting natural resource management funding and grants programs
- incentive programs that encourages and rewards landholders for environmental stewardship
- providing assistance in recovery after environmental events such as floods and fire
- supporting Landcare groups and local Landcare facilitators to plan and implement a wide variety of actions to meet community needs
- providing a variety of flood Information for specific properties – flood extent maps, flood heights and insurance enquires
- providing advice and permits to conduct Works on waterways.
- restoring waterways to help stabilise erosion
- running events and workshops about current environmental issues to build community capacity
- developing strategic documents for natural resource management based on local knowledge and leading science
- promoting sustainable and profitable farming practices
- developing investment proposals based on the input and involvement of stakeholders, partners, and community